Ouistreham comes from the Saxon word "Waster Ham," which means "village of the West." Located between the city of Caen and the sea, Ouistreham port develops an intense activity since the Middle Ages. In 1910, a wealthy German had a casino built in wood, called the "Kursaal", meaning "treatment room". It is destroyed during the First World War and later rebuilt. Also destroyed during the Second World War, it was rebuilt in 1952. He was then used as a cinema and a nightclub. In July 1991, Group Lucien Barriere Casino gets the concession, introduced the so-called "armed bandits" and began huge renovation. Since 1 November 2000, the casino becomes "Casino Barrière de Ouistreham".